The 2018 Mayors Prayer Breakfast, a community-building event, encourages unity, diversity and the development of leadership skills for Las Vegas youth, and will take place at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at Texas Station Gambling Hall & Hotel. The event includes mayors reading ecumenical prayers, an interfaith candle lighting ceremony, a keynote speech by Kerry Bubolz, President and Chief Operations Officer of the Vegas Golden Knights, and a special performance by the Green Valley Madrigal Singers. Following the breakfast, more than 400 students and representatives from 40 high schools across the city will have the opportunity to ask questions of local mayors and Clark County School District Deputy Superintendent Diane Gullett in a town hall meeting format.
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Breakfast: 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Town Hall: 9 – 10:30 a.m.
Texas Station Gambling Hall & Hotel
2101 Texas Star Lane, Las Vegas, NV 89032
▪ Kerry Bubolz, President and Chief Operations Officer of the Vegas Golden Knights
▪ The Honorable Rod Woodbury – Mayor of Boulder City
▪ The Honorable Larry Brown – Clark County Commissioner
▪ The Honorable Debra March – Mayor of City of Henderson
▪ The Honorable Lois Tarkanian – Mayor Pro Tempore of City of Las Vegas
▪ The Honorable Pamela Goynes Brown – Mayor Pro Tempore of City of North Las Vegas
▪ Diane Gullett – Deputy Superintendent, Clark County School District
▪ Jim and Judy Kropid – Mayors Prayer Breakfast co-chairs
▪ Gard Jameson – Co-founder of Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada
▪ Chaplain Lt. Col Dwayne A. Jones - Nellis Air Force Base
▪ Imam Shamsuddin Waheed - Masjid Ibrahim
▪ Imam Mujahid Ramadan – Interfaith Council of Southern Nevada
▪ Rabbi Sanford Akselrad – Congregation Ner Tamidz
Proceeds benefit Camp Anytown Las Vegas, a program of Interfaith Council of Southern Nevada, that empowers youth in leadership skills, human relations and diversity.
The annual Mayors Prayer Breakfast is modeled after the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C. The local event encourages our community to use their diversity to find creative solutions to the various challenges facing Southern Nevada, similar to how the national breakfast is focused on the unification of our country.
The Mayors Prayer Breakfast was founded more than 60 years ago when Las Vegas Mayor Oran Gragson attended a President’s Prayer Breakfast hosted by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. The Mayor was so moved by the experience that he brought the event to Las Vegas.
SIGN UP: Sign up to attend at uwsn.org/MPB
About United Way of Southern Nevada:
United Way of Southern Nevada unites our community to improve people’s lives. We bring donors, volunteers, nonprofits, and businesses together to help children enter school ready to learn, help high school students reach graduation day, and support individuals working to earn a degree or certification, all while creating stability for their families. Together, we step into the ring and invite others to stand with us as a united front against social injustices and forces keeping our community's most vulnerable residents from a good life. We are bold and innovative to solve our toughest problems. Together, we fight for the future of our community – and we will win. Join us at uwsn.org.